April 17, 2012

The meaning of art

I know I promised a trilogy with a big announcement at the end, but the time isn't right yet.  First I have to get all my rubber duckies all lined up in a nice neat row.  Fortunately, all of my rubber duckies are being very cooperative :).  I promise that my clues have been very good, but your general idea isn't the whole picture by any means. 

But in the meantime, life isn't standing still.  First news is I got my tattoo.  I'm no hippie girl tattoo'd bohemian (but I hope to be some day, lol).  I have planned this one for a long time.  Here it is: 

Every part of this tattoo has meaning.  On the foot is a message from a mother's day card in Michaela's own hand writing.  The daffodil was her favorite flower as well as the birth flower for the month of March.  The Red Rose was used to cover up the childish rose that used to be there, but also stands for everlasting love.  

The purple flowers indicate mourning and sadness.  The butterfly is a common symbol of afterlife and a symbol of afterlife visits for many people, but this one is filled with all of the colors of the rainbow, because the rainbow was a significant symbol for her both in life and death.  The peacock feather indicates several things.  Her favorite colors, the colors and theme she was planning to decorate her apartment in, and a kind and thoughtful thing she did in her last days.  The round pink flower at the top indicates everlasting life in the eternal circle.  The lady bugs, always a favorite of hers, indicate another sign she has used both in life and death of her continuing presence.

I admit I was worried about getting such a large and detailed tattoo on my leg, but I absolutely love it.  Wait til I do one for my son on the other leg :).  I can already envision it, but he needs to finish growing up so I know all of the elements that belong there. 

Second news is that I visited Kelly at the UPS store again today.  I waited a whole week, which was hard for me to do.  I swear, talking with her is like downing a six pack of 5 hour energy drinks in 10 minutes.  I leave there electrified with energy.  Still, I don't want to dry up the energy source and I don't want to wear out my welcome; after all, she is running a business.  But again, this visit was amazing.  From the minute I walked in the door, her face lit up (don't lie, you know it is amazingly gratifying when someone is obviously happy to see you!). 

She immediately said, I have something for you.  Since the last time I left we had both been unable to locate something we wanted to share, I assumed she found what she was looking for, as had I.  So I said me too.  She was busy and I waited for her to take care of her customers.  I had business to do too, but no rush.  When she was done I pulled up the Angels Cry too picture that Michaela had drawn.  The one I put in the last blog next to the baby angel that Kelly had drawn.  She looked at it and said, it's her, all grown up.  When I told her that Mich had drawn that, she almost cried  She said, so there is a connection.  So I'm not crazy...or at least both of us are.  Reminder images:






But, surprise, what she had been looking for was NOT what she had for me.  She came out from the back room with this:
This is a brand new canvas in oils.  The photo does it no justice.  It is jaw dropping.  I could not believe she was handing me a canvas painting as a gift.  Just a gift.  But more than a gift.  I had told her how much her paintings of Ascension had touched me...this is very similar to the one she did about her sister, but it is not the same.  She said she had started out with different colors than these on the circles and it wasn't right.  She didn't know why it wasn't right, so she asked Michaela to help her make something beautiful for me.  Look closely at the colors (they aren't quite right in the photo, but they are perfect on the canvas) and then look again at that peacock feather in my tattoo.  I just got the tattoo on Friday.  Also look at the hair color...not quite blonde, not quite brown.... she thought that was a mistake when I showed her blond Michaela (she had not seen a color picture of her)...but remember Michaela was born with dark brown hair...now she is going back.  I love the golden hue in the hands.  I know it is my grampa taking her over.  He is the one who told me she had to go over. 

Also, please remember that she has not been able to paint in over a year.  This is the first painting she has completed.  I hope that means I am giving her energy, not just taking hers.
Another blessing I am undeserving of.  I have so many pieces of original art, inspired by my generous, loving daughter both by people who knew her alive and people who did not.  Tell me that isn't proof that life is eternal and important.

No comments:

Post a Comment